Tuesday, July 20, 2010

on startling updates.

"Is it because we're old?"

A friend and I walked the moonlit streets of Ayala in search of my brother's AA batteries. Walking gear defined by her flats and my slippers, we started our unplanned evening exercise from Glorietta 5. We pondered the possibility that it must be age that's causing our problems -- although it's not far-fetched that our problems are really making us seem older than we actually are. I was overwhelmed by the news I've been getting the past weeks.

While it's not surprising to hear about marriage and promiscuity now as it was maybe 4 years ago, once in a while, you get updates that seem unreal, too soon, almost telenovela-ish: a friend with HIV, another a willing mistress, and yet another, filing for legal separation. Amidst all this, I can only pray for my peers and offer a listening ear.

To think, a couple of years back, our biggest problem was how to get past our first year in college.

No comments: